Monday, November 17, 2008

Broke Feminist

It's funny how life works…the decisions you make as an individual get different receptions from different areas. Funny how strangers and onlookers applaud my choices in life and family members and those whose consent matters the most are appalled by and utterly reject y my choice. I ground my teeth together and shut my eyes as tightly as I could because I anticipated the end of the long silence that seemed to last forever over the phone. My aunt and uncle, the two very important people in my life struggled to shove my just spoken words back into my mouth and deep down my throat where it would be sealed and forever unspoken. I told them that I wanted to get my masters degree in communication studies with an emphasis in feminist theories and their reaction was as if one put a hand full of bitter leaves in their mouth. Like a spoken abomination, they rejected my choice and "commanded" me to go do something that was certain to yield financial benefit in future. WHAT IS WRONG WIT MY CHOICE? Is it the drive behind it? Is it because my choice is passion driven and not driven by the bulk in the bank factor? Yes my family is wealthy…some of its members that is, but what is wrong with choosing not to live a life full of wealth but rather a comfortable one with the content of effecting a change? What is the difference between doing something that affords you the luxury of having anyone and anything at your disposal once you flash that checkbook and having anything you NEED and the luxury of GIVING onto others the confidence to be themselves and see themselves as equals? My aunty for one is the only woman amongst a flock of 11 men, and together, they all run the affairs of Nigeria's biggest and almost only supplier of petroleum…does she not deep down have an ounce or atom of feminism in her? To pose such a powerful position? Why then is it wrong for me to help other women realize their potential to be just like her? Why is it a crime for me to fight for others? Why? Is it because the profit of the righteous or might I say those who aspire equality between sexes and socially constructed gender is not as assuming as those who just lay back and sign papers to gain "financial profit" by any means necessary? Well, maybe im childish for wanting equality, maybe there is something I don't understand; maybe there is an underlying message there somewhere…maybe I just don't get it! Or maybe I do, and everyone is just selfish and self centered! Maybe I just came to this world at a time when the selfish multiplied and the honest and aspiring were underdogs…just maybe! But whatever the answer is, I am sure I have more than two years and well beyond attaining this masters degree to find out!

No comments: